Raid your kitchens and repurpose waste ingredients for this super simple exfoliating coffee ground body scrub recipe from Hackney Herbal.
Coffee is full of antioxidants and has an excellent exfoliating action when applied to the skin.
Natalie Mady, founder of Hackney Herbal, shares her exfoliating used coffee ground body scrub recipe with us.
“You can recycle your spent coffee grounds in a scrub simply by rubbing it in circular motions to the skin, before rinsing it off in the bath or shower.
But adding herbs and essential oils can elevate your scrub and turn it a luxurious body treatment. If desired, the scrub can be made without coffee too, using sea salts, epsom salts and sugar,” she explains.
Related: Missing Your Cafe? How To Make The Best Coffee At Home
“For this scrub, I’ve paired rosemary, sage and mandarin essential oils with sprigs of fresh rosemary and mandarin zest.
Rosemary stimulates blood flow and circulation, sage is purifying and cleansing while mandarin is uplifting and enlivening to the body and mind.
You can choose different essential oils and fresh herbs to suit your mood or desired effect.”
DIY Used Coffee Ground Scrub Recipe
Coffee Ground Scrub Ingredients
- 1 cup of used coffee grounds (taken from those biodegradable coffee pods, your French press or whichever coffee maker you use)
- 1 cup of sea salt, epsom salt or brown sugar
- 5ml carrier oil (feel free to use less or more – I like my scrub quite dry)
- Up to 10 drops (in total) rosemary, mandarin & sage essential oils
- Optional squirt of honey
- Optional sprigs of rosemary
- Optional grated mandarin or orange zest
- Blend all ingredients together and give it a good stir
- Store in a sealed jar
- Apply to a dry body using circular motions
- Leave on for a few minutes
- Rinse off in the shower
- When using fresh ingredients, it’s best to use your scrub within five days, as the fresh ingredients will wilt and spoil. So make little and often and use as you need.
Check out the other recipes that Hackney Herbal have shared with us:
Loved this coffee grounds body scrub recipe and want more on sustainable skincare?
Check out pebble’s new Sustainable Skincare: Everything You Need To Know In One Handy Free Ebook!
Download, read, enjoy and change the world!