Treasure Your River Hosts Pirate Themed Plastic Pollution Day
The Treasure Your River campaign is hosting a series of events in major cities to raise awareness of plastic pollution. Here's what to expect.
Thu 16 Sept 2021
Here’s one for the calendar. Sunday 19th September is Talk Like a Pirate Day and to celebrate, Treasure Your River is hosting a series of events in six major cities (and counting!) to raise awareness of plastic pollution in UK waterways.
A free and fun day out for the whole family, here’s what to expect and how to get involved.
What is Treasure Your River?
Launched in May by the environment charity, Hubbub in partnership with The Coca Cola Foundation, Treasure Your River aims to remove 95 tonnes of litter and prevent a further 90 tonnes from entering seven of the UK’s vital river systems.
The campaign is initially focused on prevention and clean-up in the Rivers Avon, Forth, Mersey, Severn, Taff, Thames and Trent with events taking place in cities including Bristol, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Liverpool, London, Manchester and Nottingham.
Treasure Your River has a goal to unite 80 organisations across the UK to help the cause from charities to community groups and river users.
Partner organisations already involved include Angling Trust, Canal & River Trust, Keep Scotland Beautiful, Keep Wales Tidy, Mersey Rivers Trust, Sustainable Hive and Thames21.
The Rivers Trust and the Marine Conservation Society will also be collaborating independently to measure the impact of the campaign across the UK.
Gavin Ellis, Director and Co-founder of Hubbub says: “Treasure Your River aims to help people make the connection between litter in our towns and cities and plastic in the oceans.”
“We hope to create a legacy for each river taking part in the campaign, by building an army of regular volunteers, litter-clearing equipment and improved ‘binfrastructure’ in towns and cities across the six chosen rivers.”
Local Treasure Your River events
Check out the cities below to find a Pirate Themed Plastic Pollution Day near you.
All events are free and suitable for the whole family. Pirate outfits are strongly encouraged.
All Bristol events are taking place at Young Bristol Pooles Wharf Activity Centre. Register here or turn up on the day.
- Plastic Fishing trips throughout the day from 11am - 4pm.
- Plastic Fishing boat trips with a live mermaid and marine biologist on board - 2 - 3.30pm.
- Live Mermaid book reading for kids on board the boat / on the Young Bristol Jetty - 3 - 3.20pm.
- Pirate Trading Post – with pirate actor and litter picks.
- Litter art creation station.
Learn how to take stunning photos of the foreshore of the Thames with a free photography class run by Thames21.
Hosted by Jeanette Lendon, photos will be exhibited online and the public will be invited to vote for those they think best convey the themes: people, pirates, plastic and place.
Register for free tickets on Eventbrite.
At Croxteth Country Park you can join Mersey Rivers Trust in building a pirate ship out of litter from 10am-4pm.
There will also be a full day of other pirate activities and crafts for all ages. No need to book, just turn up.
Hosted by the Canal & River Trust at Castle Wharf from 10am-4pm, events include:
- Captain a pirate (litter-eating) ghost ship. Using remote controlled litter-busting boats, help clear anything lurking on the water, no sailing experience required.
- Get up the creek with a paddle. Pirates aged 8 and over can have a go at free canoe and paddleboard taster sessions, keeping an eye out for litter as they go.
- Explore the catch of the day at a special fishmongers stall serving up a banquet of freshly caught litter.
- Join a pirate on a search for treasure along the towpath.
- Take to the high waters with a free narrowboat ride.
- Get fit to sail the seven seas with Reggaerobics and much more fun on the day.
Find out more here.
Don your best pirate gear and sensible footwear for a pirate-themed litter picking morning at Sophia Gardens.
The event runs from 9.45am-12pm and a litter picking kit will be provided. Sign up for the event here.
Join Keep Scotland Beautiful and Scottish Canals for trips to fish litter out of the Forth & Clyde Canal. Events will be held in Kirkintilloch Marina, and will include:
- Two Plastic Fishing Punt trips running at 10-11am and 12-1pm.
- Litter picks along the towpaths from the Marina.
Spaces are limited so email [email protected] now to avoid disappointment.
Speaking of the events taking place on Talk Like A Pirate Day, Gavin concludes: “Talk Like A Pirate Day is a great example of the positive things people can do to get involved!”
“With the majority of plastics in the oceans being carried there by rivers, we invite any individual or organisations along these rivers to come together and help halt the flow of litter into the sea. After all, there’s no Davy Jones’ locker collecting it at the bottom of the briny deep!”
To find out more about Treasure Your River and find other events near you, visit the website here.