How pebble gives back
As with all sustainable companies, pebble works hard to make sure there’s a strong giving back element to everything we do. We work in alignment with many of the UN's Sustainable Development Goals including:
GOAL 3: Good Health and Well-being
- GOAL 6: Clean Water and Sanitation
- GOAL 7: Affordable and Clean Energ
- GOAL 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities
- GOAL 12: Responsible Consumption and Production
- GOAL 13: Climate Action
- GOAL 14: Life Below Water
- GOAL 15: Life on Land
In 2019, we donated £1 / 10% from every event ticket sold to a range of charities including Feedback, Fashion Revolution and Marine Conservation Society.
In 2021 we are certified with 1% For The Planet, where we donate 1% of our total revenue to charitable causes. Scroll down to see what we're supporting.
1% For The Planet
We are a proud member of 1% For The Planet, which means we are committed to ensuring 1% of all our total revenue is donated to accredited charities.
We support a huge range of charity campaigns with editorial and social media coverage, sharing pledges and petitions in our sustainable living community, as well as speaking at festivals, conferences and events.
Help us plant pebble forests
We've planted trees with Treedom but in 2022 we are planting trees via a couple of different means, with companies and charities that align with our social and environmental conscience.
- We plant 1 tree per commercial campaign booked with pebble.
- We will be planting trees to help offset any future in real life pebble events.
- We plant trees every month just because it's the right thing to do.
5 Things You Didn’t Know About How Trees Look After Us
We are proud to support TreeSisters, an incredible charity that not only plants trees but empowers female leadership in communities across the world.
TreeSisters has so far funded the planting of over 22 million trees across 12 locations in Brazil, Borneo, Cameroon, India, Kenya, Mozambique, Madagascar, Nepal and West Papua.
TreeSisters focus on tropical trees because tropical forests are more than 'the lungs' of our world.
As weather stabilisers, rain creators and cleansers, they are intimately tied to our health and our food. They are crucial for biodiversity and major carbon sinks that absorb excess atmospheric carbon that otherwise acidifies our oceans.
pebble is also planting 10 trees a month via Treeapp.
Treeapp is a free app where you can plant trees across the world in just a few taps but they also partner with businesses to help them plant trees regularly.
This is a start of our treeplanting and carbon offsetting journey, to help us reach a range of UN Sustainable Development Goals, including Life On Land and Climate Action.
We will be instigating a carbon audit across 2022 to help us become a carbon neutral publisher in 2023.
How is pebble magazine sustainable?
As a digital company who don’t produce any physical products, pebble is a pretty green business.
We are purposefully an online magazine rather than a paper one, to reduce our environmental impact (which also makes sure our content is freely accessible to all).
Our sustainable actions so far...
- pebble is hosted on a server powered by renewable energy.
- We are a location independent, virtual team and our homes are powered by renewable energy.
- We cycle, walk and take the train whenever possible (including work trips in Europe).
- All of our sustainable events are single use plastic free (even down to not using cable ties).
- We go above and beyond to borrow, share and reuse anything we need for events, rather than buy once and waste. We expect our partner venues to have forward thinking waste and recycling policies.
- We are working on becoming a B Corp, which is the most sustainable form of a for profit business.
- We aren't perfect but we're on a journey to keep on improving.
For more information on us, see About pebble.