Eco-friendly cleaning - or green or natural cleaning has become a huge trend over the last few years. Let's make the way we clean our homes as kind to the planet as possible.
Topics to explore
The Big Green Clean: 12 Eco-friendly Cleaning Brands Everyone Needs
What’s the problem with cleaning products?
Mainstream cleaning products have several problems when it comes to the environment:
- They produce a huge amount of single use plastic. The spray pumps can’t be recycled.
- They release toxic chemicals into our waterways, which end up in our rivers and seas affecting marine wildlife.
- They might also be affecting our health by including VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) which can be carcinogenic.
- The most toxic can be bleach, toilet cleaner, drain cleaner and air fresheners which can contain a mixture of chemicals and formaldehyde and come covered in plastic.
- Cleaning products aren’t automatically cruelty free - they can have been tested on animals.
What is green or eco-friendly cleaning?
Green cleaning, or eco-friendly cleaning, is a growing movement to use less single use plastic and toxic chemicals in our homes via the cleaning products and methods we use to clean them.
What cleaning products are eco-friendly?
To be an eco-friendly, or green cleaning product, look for brands who:
- Rely on refillable or reusable bottles
- Send concentrated sachets of cleaning products to your home for you to mix up in a reusable bottle
- Use plant based and non toxic cleaning ingredients
- Use ingredients which are cruelty free, organic and/or vegan.
Another way to make your home more sustainable is embrace natural cleaning, by making your own cleaning supplies using natural ingredients like white vinegar, lemon and bicarbonate of soda.
For the best eco-friendly cleaning products, check out our range of features which includes our favourite eco cleaning brands, plus hacks and tips to help you clean and reduce plastic waste and toxic chemicals getting into our waterways.
Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter packed full of new sustainable products, from food and drink, to fashion and skincare.
We also highlight our favourite natural, eco and ethical ways to clean on our Instagram feed under our 2021 campaign, #365waystosave.
This article is sponsored by This is the header
What to Do Next
Stay up to date with all the latest eco news and features. We plant trees for every subscriber. Every 100th subscriber wins their own tree.
Join our Digital
Community For Free
Ripples helps you smash your sustainable goals. Share your journey, ask questions and inspire others.
Sign up To
Join our new business group in our Community. Collaborate and network with other ethical entrepreneurs.
Everything You Want To Know About Eco-friendly Cleaning
From best brands to hacks for a green clean home