Feeling anxious or need to unwind? We’ve got just the thing with this Lemon Verbena & Lime Blossom Cordial Recipe, from Hackney Herbal, using foraged botanicals.
“Lime blossom (linden) and lemon verbena are both sedative herbs, which makes this a soothing remedy for the nervous system. This is a lovely combination to treat stress, anxiety, low mood and insomnia,” explains Natalie Mady, founder of Hackney Herbal.
“Cordials are a delicious way to preserve and enjoy fresh herbs. You can use them in drinks as well as deserts, ice creams and sorbets. It’s a great way to involve children in growing, harvesting and utilising herbs too. Lemon verbena has a sweet-sherbet taste and always goes down well with little ones.”
You can adapt this recipe with your own choice of summer herbs and have fun trying out different variations.
Taken from Hackney Herbal’s Herbal Journal: Summer Solstice Edition (ebook, £8) Available at hackneyherbal.com
Let us know if if you try it out, we’d love to hear how you found it, in the comments below the recipe.
Lemon Verbena & Lime Blossom Cordial Recipe
Check out Hackney Herbal’s other recipes on pebble:
3 cups of lime blossom flowers
2 cups of lemon verbena leaves
2 unwaxed lemons cut into slices (or 1 whole grapefruit for a twist!)
1 tsp citric acid
750ml boiled water
- Pour the boiling water over the sugar in a very large mixing bowl and stir well until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the citric acid and lemon and stir.
- Add the lemon verbena and lime blossom.
- Leave to infuse with a lid covering for 48 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Strain through a sieve with a piece of muslin and transfer to sterilised bottles. Use within a year.